Thursday, May 01, 2008

Still Chewing?


I suppose your still chewing on last week’s entry; it’s been strangely quiet on the reply front. That’s good; I hope it’s causing you to think, to wonder, etc. Good, thoughtful people need to be addressing this issue instead of just walking away from church like too many do. Here’s your thought for the week:

Jesus never intended following Him to become a religion.

In closing I’d like to honor a friend and reader of this blog who passed away this week. Her name was Linda and she was kind and thoughtful and encouraging. She replied to this blog frequently, accepting my invitation to this journey together. Her passing reminds me that one day, I will know the answers to all the questions this life has caused me. Until then, I invite you to ponder them with me here.


Peace……

2 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Religion -- at its root -- is about control. We are called to a relationship, one in which we surrender all; and in so doing, own everything . . . "all that I have is yours." Religion operates under a form of government irreconcilable to the Kingdom of Heaven. For the government of the Kingdom shall be upon His shoulders . . . "and of the increase of His government and peace there shall be no end;" (Isaiah 9:7) We have a king who rules a kingdom that we are a part of. He told the disciples that He had given them the example of how to live this out: "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another as I have loved you."


My question in return for you . . . . so how did Jesus love?

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Tom said...

Great question, and the answer is......very well, thank you!

I agree with the point about control you make. It's quite obvious in the hierarchical structure found in the church. Yet in reality, no man is above, or superior to another.

I believe Jesus made this point clearly in the way he loved. i.e. - he valued our lives over his own.

Good stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home