Monday, August 07, 2006

Communion

The following was taken from the Meriam-Webster online dictionary:

com·mu·nion Pronunciation: k&-'myü-ny&n
Function: nounEtymology: Middle English, from Latin communion-, communio mutual participation, from communis
1: an act or instance of sharing
2: a capitalized : a Christian sacrament in which consecrated bread and wine are consumed as memorials of Christ's death or as symbols for the realization of a spiritual union between Christ and communicant or as the body and blood of Christ b : the act of receiving Communion c capitalized : the part of a Communion service in which the sacrament is received
3: intimate fellowship or rapport: COMMUNICATION
4: a body of Christians having a common faith and discipline

As you can see, the Christian faith has laid claim to this word. Not a bad thing, in fact it's a wonderful thing when the ritual sacrament is done in conjunction with the root meaning of the word. Look at meanings #1 & #3: sharing, intimate fellowship, rapport. That's it, that's what I'm talking about here.

Don't get me wrong, I love the sacrament of Holy Communion as practiced by the protestant faith. It is a wonderful time of rememberance with beautiful symbolism, and one of the most important acts that take place inside church buildings in my opinion. But if that's the beginning and the end of it, I'll pass.

I just returned from 3 days "away" from my normal life. Just a little country retreat away from phones, computers and my usual routine. Let me tell you, it was 3 days of communion. And it was extrememly spiritual. No, it wasn't a monestary retreat with self-imposed silence broken only by mantras chanted in monotone; it was communion in it's purest form.

With my family, the people I love the most - who know me best (and still love me!), surrounded by God's creation (Texas Hill Country, some of His better work), a farm full of beautiful animals and wildlife, and times to sit and ponder along with times of exhilirating activity; I was intimately connected with God. I sensed His presence and shared each moment with Him, marvelling at all He's done and is doing. Truly a time of communion with my Maker.

What's my point? Glad you asked. Don't wait. Don't wait for the Sunday that your particular church celebrates Holy Communion, though I hope you'll be there for it. Each moment of each day is an opportunity to connect, to share, to have intimate fellowship with the One who holds it all in His hands. In nature, in people, in life itself. Each breath is a reminder, and can be an act of rapport with the God who gave it to you. Enjoy.

Peace......

1 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I agree with you. The best communion I have had involves a "re-connection" with those I love most - God, family, and select friends.

I have gone through the "church" communion by myself many times when I was single and a few times since being married, and while I was able to stop and commune with God, I find that there is additional meaning when I share it with those that I have the most sense of community - family - that there is an additional connection or bond with God that I had not previously known.

My most recent personal retreat was also with family and I was able to experience communion with them. I also discovered that as much as I love the communion (both with family and with God), that my biggest hinderance is taking the time. The wonderful thing about vacation is that it can force you to take the time - because time is all you have. During the rest of "life", I find that I'm always looking for time, don't have enough time, but really... it's that I don't TAKE the time.

Growing up, my parents were much more strict, as I also think most of Western culture was, in taking a day of rest. It was a time when stores were closed, shopping was limited to the food essentials, but the rest of life was put on hold for a day. I remember those being times of communion. All we had was time to spend with each other, reflect, laugh, and play - when otherwise we didn't afford ourselves that luxury. Now, however, we are moving at the "speed of business" and don't ever shutdown.

I guess it's about time I started setting some boundaries, as God intended, and stop, reflect, and appreciate all that is around me and realize, "It is good."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home