Saturday, December 27, 2008

Farewell 2008


So, here it is, my final blog of 2008.  A toast to the past and to the future.  But first, let me share again that this blog appears in a few different places, so references to comments and such may or may not be obvious to you and where you see it.  A word about your comments - they are encouragement to others who may be experiencing something similar, so I encourage yo to enter into the conversation.  

The last post of 2008 issues a challenge: Share some highs and lows of 2008 and what your hopes for 2009 may be.  I'll go first.....

In looking back and taking a big picture view, 2008 has brought it's share of loss:
  • I lost a pastor and friend whose vision and leadership both challenged and fulfilled the work I do.  (Lost = he moved to a new ministry)
  • My youngest daughter lost a bit of her "care free" childhood as she faced test after test searching for answers to a medical mystery.
  • With the economy taking it's toll in all our lives, I find myself losing my perspective of doing what I want to do to doing what I have to do.  This applies both personally and professionally.
Lest you think 2008 has been a total bummer, there have been some highlights:
  • 2 daughters, both in college, continue to make the Dean's list and make good choices for their lives.
  • After all the testing, the current course of treatment seems to be helping my youngest daughter.
  • Had an amazing vacation this year.
  • Celebrated 21 years of marriage with the love of my life.
  • It seems the hardware they put in my chest last year is keeping my heart beating pretty well.
  • Built a guitar for the first time in my life and it rocks!
As I look forward to 2009 I share some uncertainty with most of the U.S. about our economy and such, but I'm also hopeful.  Here's a few:
  • My church will recover it's vision.
  • I will travel to see family & friends I haven't seen in a few years.
  • I will continue to watch all my daughters grow and enjoy life.
  • Someone will experience hope in their life because I'm willing to share Jesus.
  • I will not break any bones when I go skiing next week!
There you go, now it's your turn.  I wish all of you a Happy New Year.  If you're attending a celebration, I hope it's with friends and loved ones and remember "all things in moderation".  See you in 2009.


Peace......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home