Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Christmas Miracle

It's been some time since I last posted.  I've had trouble with the blog with several posts not appearing (hoping as I type that Blogger has it's bugs worked out, though it seems to be picture related, hence no picture), and frankly, the season I find myself in hasn't allowed me to be as persistent in getting something up.  What season am I talking about?  The Christmas season?  ...well, yes...and no.

Surely you haven't missed the decorations and sale ads that signal what has become America's Christmas.  Or maybe, like me, you're experiencing the added activity that comes with the season. And while much of it is "Christmas related", most times it seems like work for works' sake with no real benefit identifiable.  Forgive my "Scroogeness", 'tis the season to be jolly, but I'm finding it difficult.  Let's be clear, I'm not blaming Christmas, it's an unfortunate coincidence.  One of my daughter's birthday is December 24, it's not her fault either.

What I'm referring to here is a season of difficulty I find myself in.  It seems to be coming from all directions, job, finances, etc.  Perhaps it's the economic "recession" that the media finally admitted we're in which is affecting us all.  Its easy to point to specific things, but I know it's my soul that seems to be taking things hard.  And if you know me at all, you know that I don't write this for your sympathy.

I write this because I know this is part of our human condition.  All of us,from time to time, find ourselves in "seasons" of life that are utterly draining on our souls.  The things that used to energize and fulfill us become just another thing on the "list" of stuff we're expected to accomplish.  The roles we take on in life, spouse, parent, leader, etc.; that most times give us a sense of purpose and responsibility, suddenly become pressures that add weight to the "load we carry".  Life moves from enjoyable to difficult.  Stress is a word that is often used.  For many, such times lead us into depression which is a very real condition that requires professional help.  If that last sentence resonates with you, be encouraged to seek that help out, it's a good thing.

So here I am, and perhaps you too, in a difficult season.  As I said, I don't share for sympathy.  Just like everything else I blog about here, I share to share...to connect...to make the point that we're not alone.  The feelings you and I have are common to all of us.  But what to do in such a season?  I must confess that I am limited in solutions, in fact I only know one.  His name is Jesus.

He said some things about times like this.  He said, "In this world world you will have trouble...", I think that's exactly what I've been saying.  He said, "Take heart, I have overcome the world...", which leads me to believe that something different than what I'm experiencing is possible.  And He said, "I will never leave you...", that gives me some comfort in the difficult times.  None of that changes specific situations, but it changes me.  He gives me hope and strength that this world tends to drain me of, and because of Him, I know it will be alright.  He's proven Himself many times in my life, and while I might hope for the miracle of things just changing overnight, I'll take the miracle of Him every time.

Let me close by wishing you a Merry Christmas.  May all of us experience the miracle of Christ in our lives now and in the days to come.


Peace......



 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home