Saturday, September 08, 2007

This Moment


Greetings. It’s been quite some time since my last post in which I stated that I was taking a break to focus on some neglected areas of my life. Since then, quite a bit has happened; life is really funny that way. But today I share the most recent turn in my personal journey. Some of you may have heard, others will read this with surprise, and for that I’m sorry but this is the easiest form of mass communication I have. But since part of my mission here is to have us share our journey of life with one another, please indulge me.

Many of you know that I lead worship at a large church in West Texas, which I did last Sunday as usual. However, it turned out to be anything but a usual Sunday. I woke up experiencing some chest pain that morning, but nothing so extreme to keep me from doing what I love to do most; so off to church I went. The pain never really left during the morning, and at the urging of some dear friends, and a loving wife, I went to the medical clinic after services. Long story short – I was released from the hospital Wednesday after having 4 stints placed in 3 arteries of my heart. The main artery was 100% blocked, the secondary 80%, and a “diagonal” artery was blocked as well. The doctors say that most people don’t go home from something like that, in fact, they refer to the blockage of the main artery as “The Widow Maker”.

Have I told you about the God I serve before? He loves showing off His power, which I believe He did in me this past week. I’m so thankful for a loving family, caring friends and doctors who are skilled, but according to what I was told, something (Someone) else was at work in this. I’m feeling better each day and recovery is in sight.

If I’ve gleaned anything from this experience it is this: this moment is all I have. I am not guaranteed tomorrow or even later today. I’m sure you’ve heard that before, probably to the point of nauseousness, but take it from someone who has lived it quite vividly this week. I chose this moment to share with you my journey in hopes that it might cause you to engage your life fully, no longer waiting for the “what ifs” and “if onlys” to happen or letting the fear of failure to stop you. Failing is merely a reflection of an effort put forth, and if I die today…I’ll die trying. What about you?

Let me close by saying that I’m glad to be back, figuratively and literally! Enjoy the moment.


Peace……

1 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Blogger Jennifer Coomer said...

Wow!
I sat here reading this with my hands on my head!
Wow!
Wow!
Wow!

I'm glad that you are okay. And I'm glad that God is Who He IS!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home