Thursday, June 14, 2007

Change Is Constant


Hey there! Hope you’re having a great week like I am. I must tell you though that I’m tired, but it’s a good tired. Ever been there? I hope so because the fatigue usually comes from putting forth a good effort and getting a good return for it. In the midst of it - it may be tough, but at the end of it - it’s usually very satisfying. Let me share my week and I hope you’ll share yours.

I have 2 out of 3 girls that still live at home. However, one is in college and spends about eight months out of the house at a campus across state, but still has a room at home. Until now, it’s been the bigger of the 2 girl’s rooms. The time has come for the youngest to occupy the larger space, another transition is at hand! Granted, it’s coming much too late according to the youngest, but the time has come.

In preparation for “the move”, new paint colors where scoured over and chosen last weekend. With great excitement, they made their way to the paint store with their mother and purchased the new hues that would adorn the walls of their new living spaces. With absolute giddiness, they arrived home to show me these wonderful bright, very “girly” colors. While not my cup of tea, I expressed my approval of their choices and exclaimed to their mother that now was the time to make “the list” of things that needed to be done before painting could begin. Obvious things like cleaning, removing wall hanging, filling holes, preparing the surfaces, etc. And while not too extensive, completing the list would require probably a full day’s effort to complete.

Well, you’d have thought I killed the family dog from the looks I got from my children. Apparently, in their minds, the “work” had been done – the color was picked! From their reaction, the list I made could have been written in a foreign language, because it made no sense to them at all. What was all this other “stuff”?! The process that I had outlined had never entered their minds in relation to exchanging rooms. Blame it on all the home improvement shows that never really capture the amount of “work” it takes to transform a space, blame it on their youthful exuberance for something new and exciting, or blame it on me ‘cause I’m an ogre (I actually think that crossed their minds)…regardless, it rained on their parade a little.

Fast forward to today – one room is completely finished, the other will be done before I hit the pillow tonight, dad’s tired from working day and night, mom’s tired of the mess and chaos and 2 girls are returning to giddy. It’s been a good week and one that is my entire life compressed into 7 days, maybe yours too.

God knows me because He created me. He sees what I can be. Jesus has picked out my new colors and has begun the work, the “list” if you will that needs to be completed in my life to get the new color on my walls. I get frustrated that it takes so long, and often I’m sitting in mess and chaos. But day by day, I see progress. Progress leads to hope, hope gives way to sight and I begin to see the vision God has for me. When I choose to lend a hand to help, or at the very least get out of the way – progress comes quicker.

Occasionally, people notice the changes that are occurring and I become aware of just how much in my life is different. And I stop and thank God with all my heart. I’m committed to becoming all that God sees in me, which means there’s still plenty of work to be done in me. Which is why it’s the absolute truth that change is constant? What do you think?


Peace……

2 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger Jennifer Coomer said...

that teal color in the photo is the color of my bathroom.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Tom said...

I must confess, that isn't a picture of our paint. But a teal bathroom is way cool!

Hope you're doing good, we miss you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home